Today I will show how to install a Virtual Machine on your PC. This means you can install on your personal computer other type of OS, for testing applications, playing around – without need for other physical computer.
- My OS: Windows 10 64bit
- Virtualbox: Version 5.0.24 r 108355
- Virtual System OS: Elementary OS version 0.3.2 / Linux Ubuntu 32-bit
- Firstly install Virtual Box on computer – find appropriate version for you PC:
- Then I recommend to download OS you will install in virtual box to create virtual computer:
- In this tutorial I will install Elementary OS version 0.3.2
- Available on: https://elementary.io/
Select NEW to create new Virtual Machine in the menu bar:
Select parameters – create environment for OS you will install:
- name the machine
- file size of vdi file
- hard disk type: choose VDI
- Dynamically allocated
- operating system
- system architecture 32-bit
I recommend you leave default settings for Processor – but you can play around after you install OS. If you shut down the machine – you can change settings of Virtual Computer.
And we’re done with Settings.
After you’re done with Settings just…select: START
If nothing happens for a while… Just wait. It might take some minutes to see OS Installation GUI
If you shutdown your main computer – you need to first shutdown all the virtual machines. After you’re done with work just X the display and a window will pop up:
- you can Save the machine state ( that means it will not boot from start)
- Power of the machine ( like Shutdown in computer – it will save some of the settings you did in this session)
Hope world of virtualization will inspire you as well. Take Care and Install Safely!
With a little help from this How to: How to install Elementary